Monday, September 28, 2009

EAST

Their helmets read, "EAST"
Lincoln-Way East High School in Frankfort, Illinois is one of the most dominant public schools in the state. They are 49-5 in their past 5 seasons including a 2005 State Championship, and they have begun this season 5-0, outscoring their opponents 210-28. They represent dominance in Illinois.
Fortunately for me their head coach, Rob Zvonar, went to my high school where he played football and wrestled for my father. I have a little bit of an in at Lincoln-Way East and am not ashamed to say that I myself am a Griffin fan. So it was with much anticipation that I made my way up to Lincoln-Way East High School this summer for a shoot for Chiefpigskin.com.
It was a regular day of summer camp and now having been to several shoots, I was beginning to know what to expect. I arrived at 7:30am, a bit early, and began my search for Coach Zvonar, who as I quickly found out is known solely as Coach Z.
"Oh he's back in his room," I was directed. After finding Coach Z's room I saw that I was walking in on a film session. I was expecting to see him fumbling through some papers preparing for practice. Instead I found a room full of teenagers, with Coach Z and an assistant coaching the kids through every single play filmed from the day before.
That's 1 minute here and I'm already impressed.
Immediately following the kids made their way to the field and prepared for their day of camp. Though many programs were similar, none flowed the way this practice did. Nearly every kid was active at all times, nearly every coach was COACHING at all times. The practice was seamless. An onlooker may have wondered my mental condition as I'm sure my jaw was dropped for the entire morning.
This was football. This is how it's suppose to be done. Coach Z barely had to raise his voice. His players new what to expect and how to play hard. One play in live 1's vs. 1's and immediately 8 coaches were in coaching. A second play and they were right back at it. This program is a machine.
Most impressive of all was the amount of ownership the assistant coaches showed. Each was completely responsible for the play of his athletes and it was clear that each took pride in it. About midway through, Coach Z came over to me and we talked for 20 minutes. Yes 20 minutes DURING PRACTICE! Let me ask you coaches: what happens to your practice when you step away for 20 minutes? Does it skip a beat?
With the organization and the staff in Frankfort, I must say that I am not surprised that the road to the Southwest Suburban Conference Championship goes through EAST... and I believe it will for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment